Frequently Asked Questions
Which holidays delay garbage pickup?
There are 6 Holidays in which the garbage will be collected one day later than usual (Saturday rather than Friday):
- New Year’s Day (1st of January)
- Memorial Day (Last Monday of May)
- Independence Day (4th of July)
- Labor Day (1st Monday of September)
- Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday of November)
- Christmas Day (December 25th)
When was the last time utility fees changed?
Effective October 1, 2023 the rates are as follows:
- Water – Base rate – increased $3.48 – new rate $43.48 per month while the Cost of Living rate increased $0.09 from $1.02 to $1.11 per thousand gallons/month
- Sewer – Base rate increased $2.00 – new rate $24.97 per month while the Cost of Living rate increased $0.32 from $3.67 to $3.99 per thousand gallons/month
- Garbage – Cost of living rate increased $1.41 from $16.00 to $17.20 while a second can rate increased $1.06 from $12.16 to $13.22
Can I reserve a shelter at a park?
Yes, please call in or stop by to see the availabilities.
- The cost for residents for a half day for small groups of fewer than 25 individuals is $0. The cost for organized groups of 25 or more is $25.
- The cost for non-residents for a half day for small groups of fewer than 25 individuals is $50.
- The cost for non-residents for a full day for organized groups of 25 or greater is $150.
- The cost for non-residents for a half day for small groups of fewer than 25 individuals is $150.
- The cost for non-residents for a full day for organized groups of 25 or greater is $250.
*There is a $50 dollar refundable security deposit for residents as well as non-residents as long as the shelter is cleaned after the group has finished their activity.
How can I obtain a permit for a controlled burn?
If you wish to effectuate a controlled burn, please visit fdmadison.org
Then on the left, click on “Burn Registration”, next, click on “Register a Controlled Burn” fill out the form and click done to get a burn permit. Please note that as a part of the form, the various types of materials that can and cannot be burned are mentioned. Also, Today’s Burns can be located in the following section.
When do I need to test my backflow device?
A backflow device must be tested when initially installed. Houses with an even house number must be tested on even years while houses with an odd house number are to be tested on odd years (For Example, 123 Main Street would be required to test in 2023 while 456 Main Street would be required in 2024)
It is the citizen’s responsibility to have their backflow working properly and tested. Please see the following page for more information on backflow devices: Backflow Device Permit
Please note that the slideshow on the aforementioned page contains a list of licensed backflow testers on its last page.